Special Recognition Awards
Each year, MWSA presents special recognition awards to especially noteworthy authors and their works. The list of awards varies each year, but is generally made up of the following:
- Founder's Award
- Award recipient determined by MWSA Founder, Bill McDonald
- Represents the highest achievement in literature among each year's submissions
- President's Award
- Award criteria and recipient at the discretion of the MWSA President
- Writer/Author of the Year Award
- In April of 2017, the MWSA Board of Directors approved renaming the MWSA Author of the Year to honor long-time member, Mike "Moon" Mullins.
- The award is now the Military Writers Society of America (MWSA) Mike Mullins Memorial Writer of the Year (WOY) Award.
- Click here for details.
Gold, Silver and Bronze Medal Awards
Medals are awarded each year based on the combined average, numerical scores of the three reviewers assigned to each book.
MWSA announces these results in two steps:
- Awards Finalists -- After our submission window closes and all books are scored, MWSA announces each year's Finalists
- Being designated as a "Finalist" means that the submitted book scored high enough for a Founder's, Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal
- Announcement of Finalists (names and books) should occur about 4-6 weeks after the close of each season
- Medal Award Announcement -- Actual medals won are normally announced during MWSA's annual general membership conference.
Other Award Details & Benefits
Awards Packets, Promotional Events & Materials
Contents of basic awards package:
- 1 medal
- 100 book stickers
- Award Certificate
Presented without cost to all award recipients attending our awards banquet. Award winners who can't attend our banquet need only pay postage costs to have their packages sent to them.
Extra award packet material (primarily for multiple-author books) can be purchased in our online store
Marketing & Promotional Materials
- Press Releases
- Announcement of Finalists
- Announcement of Awards
- Video Annoucements
- for both events above
- via social media (Facebook, YouTube)