Private Svoboda: Hope is the Last to Die
Based on a true story the book is about a 14-year old boy drafted into Hitler's Army. Trained to kill or be killed young Alex Svoboda and the rest of the boys in his class are sent to fight on the Eastern Front. Naive and excited to be in the war the boys are quickly relieved of any notion of the adventure, romance and heroics of the war. One by one Alex's classmates fall as the deafening weapons of the battlefield expose the brutality of war and the unlikely chances of surviving for another day, another minute.
Captured by the Russians, Alex is among half of the POW's who survive starvation and the winter's blast on the ride into Siberia. When Alex's last two remaining classmates are brutally killed, he loses all caution and escapes into the frozen plains chased by the Russians, wolves, hunters, partisans and hunger.
- Author: Steven Roberts
- Publication Date: 2014-01-27
- Publisher: Rouge River Press
- Product Group: eBooks
- Manufacturer: Rouge River Press
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 273 pages
- ASIN: B00I3QCGXM
- The Good Soldier: From Austrian Social Democracy to Communist Captivity with a Soldier of Panzer-Grenadier Division "Grossdeutschland"
- The Man in the Black Fur Coat: A Soldier's Adventures on the Eastern Front
- A Stranger to Myself: The Inhumanity of War: Russia, 1941-1944
- Hans Sturm: A Soldier's Odyssey on the Eastern Front
- The Last Panther - Slaughter of the Reich - The Halbe Kessel 1945