Desolation Row (Austin Starr Mysteries Book 1)
The flight to avoid the killing…
It’s 1968. The Cold War is hot, the Vietnam War is raging, and the women’s movement is beating a far-distant drum. When Austin Starr’s husband decides to protest the war by emigrating from Texas to Canada, she goes along, with the biblical dictate of “whither-thou-goest I will go” ringing in her ears.
Leads to murder…
No activist herself, Austin is homesick, drowning in culture shock, and now, her husband has been accused of murdering a fellow draft resister, the black-sheep son of a U.S. Senator. Alone and ill-equipped to negotiate in a foreign country, she is befriended by Larissa Klimenko, the daughter of Austin’s Russian history professor.
A desperate race to find the truth…
The Mounties aren’t supposed to harass draft-age boys but the truth is very different, especially when political pressure is applied by both the victim’s father and the Canadian prime minister’s office. They may have a reputation for always getting their man, but Austin is convinced this time they have the wrong one. Once courted by the CIA, and a lover of mystery and espionage novels, Austin launches her own investigation into the murder. When ominous letters warning her to stop her sleuthing turn into death threats, Austin must find the real killer or risk losing everything. Her love—and her life—are on the line.
- Author: Kay Kendall
- Publication Date: 2013-02-12
- Publisher: Stairway Press
- Product Group: eBooks
- Manufacturer: Stairway Press
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 258 pages
- ASIN: B00BFHHRB2
- Fear Has a Name: A Novel (The Crittendon Files Book 1)
- Rainy Day Women: An Austin Starr Mystery (Austin Starr Mysteries Book 2)
- Grounded (Windy City Neighbors Book 1)
- The Curious Case of the Missing Figurehead: A Novel (A Professor and Mrs. Littlefield Mystery)
- The Rivers Run Dry (A Raleigh Harmon Novel)