Knights of the Sea: The True Story of the Boxer and the Enterprise and the War of 1812
On a September day in 1813, as the Age of Fighting Sail was coming to an end, two maritime warriors faced each other in the waters off Pemaquid Point, Maine...
Samuel Blyth was the youthful commander of His Britannic Majesty's brig Boxer, and William Burrows, younger still, commanded the USS Enterprise. Both men valued honor over life and death, and on this day their commitment would be put to the ultimate test.
The battle between the Boxer and the Enterprise would be the only major sea engagement of the War of 1812 witnessed by people on land, and, though it lasted less than an hour, was a brutal contest whose outcome was uncertain. When the cannon smoke cleared, good men had been lost, and the U.S. Navy's position in the war had changed.
In Knights of the Sea, David Hanna brings to vivid life a lost era-a time when sailing vessels exchanged broadsides and naval officers considered it the highest honor to harness the wind to meet their foes. This history pays tribute to the young commanders on either side, a vanishing breed who would come to be standard bearers of courage and fortitude, and would be immortalized in words by the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Includes Illustrations Throughout
The battle between the Boxer and the Enterprise came to represent for those who witnessed it, lived through it, and remembered it something more than a military turning point-it became emblematic of a maritime era that would soon be gone forever.
- Author: David Hanna
- Publication Date: 2012-01-03
- Publisher: NAL Hardcover
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: NAL Hardcover
- Binding: Hardcover, 288 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 638L x 99W x 925H
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 910L x 630W x 110H
- Weight: 120
- List Price: $25.95
- ASIN: B00AK2UKQW
- Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
- If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy -From the Revolution to the War of 1812
- Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
- The Shining Sea: David Porter and the Epic Voyage of the U.S.S. Essex during the War of 1812
- 1812: The Navy's War