The First Responders: The Untold Story of The New York City Police Department and September 11th, 2001
On the morning of September 11th 2001, two hijacked jetliners crashed into the Twin Towers. Within minutes of the attack, 36 Emergency Service Unit cops of the NYPD responded to the scene. They divided into six Teams. The first five Teams entered the Towers, and the sixth Team headed for the helicopters to attempt a daring air rescue.
14 of them would not survive.
For the first time, here are the details of what the Emergency Service Unit teams did and saw as they climbed the burning Towers. Burden down with heavy equipment they searched for terrorist "sleepers," and survivors. Then the first Tower collapsed. Fearing that a second collapse was imminent, the firefighters and the police were ordered to evacuate. Now, the countdown began. In the harrowing final minutes, the police teams encountered everything from the absurd--including, the arrest of a mysterious man in the North Tower--to terrifying close calls. As the second Tower fell, tensions flared, bonds are formed, friends are lost, and tough and street-wise cops learn the true meaning of duty and heroism.
In this book, other stories from the NYPD include the rescue of two Port Authority cops, P.O. Will Jimeno and Sgt. John McLoughlin, who were buried under the collapse of the South Tower; the first flag raising, and the nine-month search and rescue--and the recovery--at Ground Zero.
These important and powerful stories have never been told...until now.
- Author: Anthea Appel
- Publication Date: 2012-10-10
- Product Group: eBooks
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 344 pages
- ASIN: B009OXKYB4
- 9/11 Ordinary People: Extraordinary Heroes - NYC, The First Battle in the War Against Terror
- We All Fall Down: The True Story of the 9/11 Surfer
- September 11: A Memoir
- Escape from Tower One: The True Story of How Vincent Borst Survived the 9/11 Attack on the World Trade Center and Led Others to Safety from the 82nd Floor of the North Tower
- 102 Minutes: The Unforgettable Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers