The Second Mouse Gets the Cheese: How to Avoid the Traps of Self-Publishing
The Second Mouse
Gets the Cheese
You've heard the expression, "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Which would you prefer? You are probably not terribly fond of worms. You don't even want to think about what the first mouse gets.
What does that have to do with self-publishing? Quite a lot, actually. The publishing industry has undergone something of a seismic shift in the past year. If you follow internet discussions about traditional publishing, you'll find authors being urged to make the shift to e-books and self-publishing, because that's where the "cheese" is.
Perhaps so, but the shift is not an easy one. The self-publishing option is full of traps for unwary little mice who jump into the fray without the necessary understanding of what all is involved. Carolyn Schriber’s first self-published historical novel, Beyond All Price, was on life-support for nearly a year. Then it made a spectacular recovery, winning two book awards and remaining on some of Amazon Kindle's "Top 100 Bestseller " lists for nearly two months. That was her piece of the cheese.
Now she is willing to share her story. She blogged about her experiences, starting with the first decision about self-publication. She kept track of her success and failures. She offered snippets of advice to other would-be writers. Now all those crumbs of information come together in an anecdotal account of what she learned and what you, too, need to know in order to get your piece of the cheese.
- Author: Carolyn Schriber
- Publication Date: 2012-01-13
- Publisher: Katzenhaus Books
- Product Group: eBooks
- Manufacturer: Katzenhaus Books
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 188 pages
- ASIN: B0076B1TE2
- Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
- Make A Killing On Kindle (Without Blogging, Facebook Or Twitter). The Guerilla Marketer's Guide To Selling Ebooks On Amazon
- How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for Free
- How to Create Nonfiction Book Ideas That Sell
- How to Publish and Sell Your Article on the Kindle: 12 Tips for Short Documents