How to Become Smarter
*** Updated in May 2015 ***
A shorter, less technical version of this book, "Become Smarter," is available:
The book describes techniques for improving mental abilities. Some of the things it can help you to achieve include the following:
- Depending on circumstances, use different lifestyles that improve one or another mental function.
- Experience euphoria without drugs and come up with new ideas, when needed.
- Slow down and prevent yourself from making rash, impulsive decisions, when necessary.
- Sharpen your wit, become more talkative, and entertain people.
- When necessary, lower your mood and increase emotional tension, which can reduce procrastination.
- Increase your score on intelligence or general aptitude tests.
- Concentrate on reading and writing for many hours daily.
- Increase your grade point average if you are a student or improve your job productivity if you are a knowledge worker.
Most authors in this field will tell you that you should read more books, solve mental puzzles, buy their nutritional supplements, sleep well, and exercise in order to get smarter. In contrast, this book is proposing moderately cold hydrotherapy and a smart diet (which involves avoiding all dietary supplements). To give another example, most books on anger management say that you should try to change your thinking in order to overcome anger, while this book suggests hot hydrotherapy and the exclusion of certain foods from your diet. The main focus of discussion in this text is on changing the biological workings of the brain, not on pop psychology. In particular, the book describes various combinations of diets and hydrotherapy that have the following effects: sedative/sleep-promoting, stimulant/wakefulness-promoting, attention-enhancing, antianxiety, antidepressant, mood-stabilizing (mood-lowering), and euphoriant. In addition, the book presents existing scientific evidence of pain-reducing, fever-reducing, antifatigue, immunostimulatory, antinausea, antihypertensive and anti-inflammatory effects of hydrotherapy. The text also discusses the possible side effects of the diets and hydrotherapy.
Despite its technical content, the book is written in an accessible language and has an informative summary for each chapter and a list of key points at the end of each section. The book supports most of the claims in the bulleted list above with a theory and the author's personal experience (a healthy subject). Previously published scientific studies directly support about a half of these claims, including the claim about intelligence tests.
- Author: Charles Spender
- Publication Date: 2010-01-02
- Publisher: KDP
- Product Group: eBooks
- Manufacturer: KDP
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 414 pages
- ASIN: B0032JT11K
- How to Think Like a Genius: A Short Collection of Ideas and Techniques for Achieving Mastery (60 Minute Read) (The Learning Development Book Series 11)
- GENIUS INTELLIGENCE: Secret Techniques and Technologies to Increase IQ (The Underground Knowledge Series Book 1)
- Slenderize Your Body: 60 EFT Tapping Scripts To Melt Off Pounds (Getting To The Heart Of The Platter Book 3)
- How to Improve Your Memory and Remember Anything: Flash Cards, Memory Palaces, Mnemonics and More (60 Minute Read) (The Learning Development Book Series 7)
- ADHD: Productivity with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder for Child ADHD and Adult ADHD (mental disorders, attention deficit disorder, Hyperactivity, ... add, adhd treatment, learning disorders)