How to Become Smarter
A shorter, less technical version of this book, "Become Smarter," is available:
You can download and read the present ebook for free:
This text describes techniques for improving mental abilities. Some of the things
it can help you to achieve include the following:
- Depending on circumstances, use different lifestyles that improve one or
another mental function.
- Experience euphoria without drugs and come up with new ideas, when
- Slow down and prevent yourself from making rash, impulsive decisions,
- Sharpen your wit, become more talkative, and entertain people.
- When necessary, lower your mood and increase emotional tension, which
can reduce procrastination.
- Increase your score on intelligence or general aptitude tests.
- Concentrate on reading and writing for many hours daily.
- Increase your grade point average if you are a student or improve your job
productivity if you are a knowledge worker.
py) and three different "smart diets," each suitable for a different type of task.
The text also describes a "depressant diet," which is not a smart diet but can im-
prove self-control and sleep. Readers don't need to use the strict diets on a per-
manent basis and the book recommends the conventional food pyramid most of
the time. The text also discusses several useful social skills and studying/writing
techniques as well as the role of luck in personal achievement.
Most authors in this field will tell you that you should read more books, solve
mental puzzles, buy their nutritional supplements, sleep well, and exercise in or-
der to get smarter. In contrast, this book is proposing moderately cold hydrother-
apy and a smart diet (which involves avoiding all dietary supplements). To give
another example, most books on anger management say that you should try to
change your thinking in order to overcome anger, while this book suggests hot
hydrotherapy and the exclusion of certain foods from your diet. The main focus of
discussion in this text is on changing the biological workings of the brain, not on
pop psychology. In particular, the book describes various combinations of diets
and hydrotherapy that have the following effects: sedative/sleep-promoting,
stimulant/wakefulness-promoting, attention-enhancing, antianxiety, antidepres-
sant, mood-stabilizing (mood-lowering), and euphoriant. In addition, the book
presents existing scientific evidence of pain-reducing, fever-reducing, anti-
fatigue, immunostimulatory, antinausea, antihypertensive, and anti-inflammatory
effects of hydrotherapy. The text also discusses the possible side effects of the
diets and hydrotherapy.
Despite its technical content, the book is written in an accessible language and
has an informative summary for each chapter and a list of key points at the end
of each section. The book supports most of the claims in the bulleted list above
with a theory and the author's personal experience (a healthy subject). Previously
published scientific studies directly support about a half of these claims, including
the claim about intelligence tests.
- Author: Charles Spender
- Publication Date: 2010-01-02
- Publisher: KDP
- Product Group: eBooks
- Manufacturer: KDP
- Binding: Kindle Edition, 414 pages
- ASIN: B0032JT11K
- 100 Ways to Develop Your Mind
- The Power of Words: Unlock Your Ability to Learn and Do Anything
- How to Think Like a Genius: A Short Collection of Ideas and Techniques for Achieving Mastery (60 Minute Read) (The Learning Development Book Series 11)
- How to Improve Your Memory and Remember Anything: Flash Cards, Memory Palaces, Mnemonics and More (60 Minute Read) (The Learning Development Book Series 7)
- Speed Reading: How to Double (or Triple) Your Reading Speed in Just 1 Hour!