Gated Grief: The Daughter of a GI Concentration Camp Liberator Discovers a Legacy of Trauma
- 2011 President's Award, Military Writers Society of America!!
If you want to understand your father's, mother's, or spouse's war experience, if someone in your family has suffered combat trauma, then you need to read this book. It will bring understanding and open the door to healing your family.
Leila, who sought to heal multigenerational traumas, takes on a journey of healing that began when she discovered haunting photographs her father had taken when he helped to liberate a Nazi concentration camp at the end of World War II. She learned from meeting other veteran liberators that what he witnessed deeply traumatized him and his fellow liberators. And they brought their trauma home with them where it rippled through their families.
"Even though the subject is difficult, the book ads much to our understanding of trauma and is fast and easily digested, because Leila has confronted and unraveled the horror for us. She embraces her own calling-- unique, courageous, necessary-- as the witness, chronicler, researcher, and preserver of a huge yet neglected portion of our World War II veteran population that still has much to teach us abut trauma."
-Dr. Ed Tick, author of War and the Soul
- Author: Leila Levinson
- Publication Date: 2011-01-31
- Publisher: Cable Publishing
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Cable Publishing
- Binding: Paperback, 272 pages
- Brand: Brand: Cable Publishing
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 0L x 0W x 0H
- Weight: 100
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 890L x 590W x 90H
- Weight: 95
- List Price: $17.95
- ISBN: 1934980552
- ASIN: 1934980552
- The Hidden Legacy of World War II: A Daughter's Journey of Discovery
- Our Fathers' War: Growing Up in the Shadow of the Greatest Generation
- Soldier from the War Returning: The Greatest Generation's Troubled Homecoming from World War II
- The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
- Lost Edens - A True Story