My Kind of Transit: Rethinking Public Transportation (Center for American Places - My Kind of . . .)
In My Kind of Transit, Darrin Nordahl argues that like life itself, transportation isn't only about the destination, but the journey. Public transit reduces traffic and pollution, yet few of us are willing to get out of our cars and onto subways and buses. But Nordahl demonstrates that when using public transit is an enjoyable experience, tourists and commuters alike willingly hand in their keys.
The trick is creating a system that isn't simply a poor imitation of the automobile, but offers its own pleasures and comforts. While a railway or bus will never achieve the quiet solitude of a personal car, it can provide, much like a well-designed public park, an inviting, communal space.
My Kind of Transit is an animated tour of successful transportation systems, offering smart, commonsense analysis of what makes transit fun. Nordahl draws on examples like the iconic street cars of New Orleans and the picturesque cable cars in San Francisco, illustrating that the best transit systems are uniquely tailored to their individual cities. He also describes universal principles of good transit design.
Nordahl's humanistic treatment will help planners, designers, transportation professionals, and policymakers create transit systems the public actually wants to ride. And it will introduce all readers to delightful ways of getting from point A to point B.
- Author: Darrin Nordahl
- Publication Date: 2009-04-01
- Publisher: Island Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Island Press
- Binding: Hardcover, 176 pages
- Brand: Brand: Island Press
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 930L x 727W x 84H
- Weight: 183
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 920L x 740W x 90H
- Weight: 185
- List Price: $35.00
- ISBN: 1930066880
- ASIN: 1930066880
- Logistics and Retail Management: Emerging Issues and New Challenges in the Retail Supply Chain
- Role of Transportation in the Supply Chain
- Securing Global Transportation Networks
- Maritime Logistics: A Complete Guide to Effective Shipping and Port Management
- Manufacturing Planning and Control for Supply Chain Management (McGraw-Hill/Irwin Series in Operations and Decision Sciences)