Reporting Vietnam: American Journalism 1959-1975 (Library of America)
A unique collection captures a dramatic and controversial war and the brilliant generation of American journalists who reported it.
This one-volume selection, drawn from the original newspaper and magazine reports and contemporary books collected in the acclaimed two-volume hardcover edition, brings together the work of over fifty remarkable writers to create a powerful mosaic view of America's longest war. Reporting Vietnam follows events from the first American fatalities in 1959 through the Tet Offensive in 1968 to the fall of Saigon in 1975, recording the shifting course of the fighting, its impact on an increasingly fractured America, and the changing texture of American journalism.
Here are Homer Bigart, David Halberstam, Stanley Karnow, and Neil Sheehan on South Vietnam in the 1960s; Thomas Johnson and Wallace Terry examining the changing attitudes of black soldiers; Sydney Schanberg on the fall of Phnom Penh; Philip Caputo on the last days of South Vietnam. Included as well are Norman Mailer at the March on the Pentagon, Doris Kearns on Lyndon Johnson's anguished decision-making, and James Michener's meticulous reconstruction of the Kent State shooting.
The volume includes a detailed chronology of the war, historical maps, biographical profiles of the journalists, notes, a glossary of military terms, and an index.
"Not simply a riveting collection of first-rate writing about the war, Reporting Vietnam is also an epic retelling of an American tragedy." --The Oregonian
"This splendid collection testifies to the courage, endurance and swallowed anger of an extraordinarily brave group of writers who, by sharing the agony, earned their rights to report it." --John Le Carre
- Publication Date: 2000-06-05
- Publisher: Library of America
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Library of America
- Binding: Paperback, 830 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 550L x 150W x 875H
- Weight: 145
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 840L x 530W x 150H
- Weight: 150
- List Price: $17.95
- ISBN: 1883011906
- ASIN: 1883011906
- Reporting World War II: American Journalism 1938-1946
- Once Upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett--Young War Correspondents and Their Early Vietnam Battles
- Reporting Vietnam Part Two: American Journalism 1969-1975
- Reporting Vietnam, Part 1: American Journalism, 1959-1969 (Library of America)
- Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides