Lockheed SR-71 Operations in Europe and the Middle East (Osprey Combat Aircraft 80)
An icon of American military might during the Cold War (1946-1991), the Lockheed SR-71 'Blackbird' had covered itself in glory during the aircraft's debut in over-flights of North Vietnam and North Korea. When the US intelligence community realized that the aircraft could fly faster and higher than any Soviet fighter, and outrun most surface-to-air missiles, they instructed the United States Air Force to establish a European detachment of the aircraft.
In 1976, SR-71 Det 4 commenced operations from the Royal Air Force base at Middenhall in the United Kingdom. Its mission was to monitor Warsaw Pact troop movements along the Iron Curtain and photograph the various ports with access to the Batlic and Barents Seas that were home to the Soviet Union's nuclear submarine fleet. Despite the best efforts of the USSR, they were never able to intercept a 'Blackbird' in flight.
The SR-71 continued its success during several missions over Libya. After surprise military strikes against several targets in 1986, the SR-71s managed to fly over a sophisticated and fully-integrated defense system in order to take bomb assessment photos.
Written by an expert on SR-71 operations, this book picks up where Combat 76: Lockheed SR-71 Operations in the Far East left off.
- Author: Paul Crickmore
- Publication Date: 2009-08-18
- Publisher: Osprey Publishing
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Osprey Publishing
- Binding: Paperback, 96 pages
- Brand: Combat Aircraft - Helicopters & Miscellaneous
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 974L x 730W x 30H
- Weight: 68
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 980L x 720W x 80H
- Weight: 50
- List Price: $22.95
- ISBN: 1846034183
- ASIN: 1846034183
- Lockheed SR-71 Operations in the Far East (Combat Aircraft)
- Lockheed A-12: The CIA's Blackbird and other variants (Air Vanguard)
- SR-71: The Complete Illustrated History of the Blackbird, The World's Highest, Fastest Plane
- Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission
- SR-71 Blackbird: Stories, Tales, and Legends