The Perfect Wreck - Old Ironsides and HMS Java: A Story of 1812
"Naval historian Steven Maffeo has used the fiction format to give us what will probably be the finest, truest account ever of the 1812 sea battle between "Constitution" and "Java" -- in which the young American Navy demonstrated the confidence, pride, and professionalism that have served it well for over two centuries.
A highly recommended must-read for every naval enthusiast-indeed, for every American!"
-- Stephen Coonts, 17-times NY Times best-selling author
December 29, 1812 - The date of one of the most dramatic sea battles in naval history. HMS "Java" and the USS "Constitution" (the famous "Old Ironsides") face off in the War of 1812's most spectacular blue-water frigate action. Their separate stories begin in August 1812 -- one in England and the other in New England. Then, the tension and suspense rise, week-by-week, as the ships cruise the Atlantic, slowly and inevitably coming together for the final life-and-death climax.
"The Perfect Wreck" is not only the first full-length book ever written about the battle between the "Constitution" and the "Java," it's a gem of "creative nonfiction." It has the exhaustive research of a scholarly history book; but it's also beautifully presented in the form of a novel.
- Author: Steven E. Maffeo
- Publication Date: 2011-05-23
- Publisher: Fireship Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Fireship Press
- Binding: Paperback, 382 pages
- Brand: Brand: Fireship Press
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 79L x 591W x 890H
- Weight: 112
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 900L x 590W x 90H
- Weight: 115
- List Price: $19.95
- ISBN: 1611791510
- ASIN: 1611791510
- Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
- Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain
- A Most Fortunate Ship: A Narrative History of Old Ironsides, Revised Edition
- A Sea Unto Itself
- Knights of the Sea: The True Story of the Boxer and the Enterprise and the War of 1812