The Day After He Left for Iraq: A Story of Love, Family, and Reunion
A stunning debut memoir sure to touch military families—and all Americans.
Melissa Seligman is something rare in the world of military families—a military wife who is also a beautiful writer. Here she describes her feelings as she watches her husband walk away from her and her newborn, knowing full well that he might not return from the war in Iraq. She experiences saying goodbye twice—both times he left when their children were still infants. While he's away from home again, Melissa struggles to remember the goodness of her husband and the joy of their life together. Working hard to raise a baby and a four-year old, Melissa tells of the heartbreak and desperation she experiences at home. She watches her daughter clutch a G.I. Joe doll she's named "Little Daddy," and wonders if the family will make it through.
Hers is a story of sadness and strength, desperation and hope, displacement and unity. It's a story that anyone left behind (and we have all been left behind) will respond to, one that, unfortunately, is becoming more and more common as the war in Iraq continues. This is a work of timely and powerful non-fiction by a significant new author.
- Author: Melissa Seligman
- Publication Date: 2008-10-06
- Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Skyhorse Publishing
- Binding: Hardcover, 256 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 100L x 550W x 825H
- Weight: 107
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 830L x 580W x 120H
- Weight: 105
- List Price: $23.95
- ISBN: 1602392943
- ASIN: 1602392943
- Confessions of a Military Wife
- Behind the Blue-Star Banner: A Memoir from the Home Front
- 365 Deployment Days: A Wife's Survival Story
- A Year of Absence: Six women's stories of courage, hope and love
- Separated By Duty, United In Love (revised): Guide to Long Distance Relationships for Military Couples (Updated)