The Wild Blue Yonder and Beyond: The 95th Bomb Group in War and Peace
The 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), the most highly decorated bomb group of World War II, participated in every major mission of the war in Europe from May 1943 through the war’s end and was awarded an unprecedented three Presidential Unit Citations. Flying the celebrated B-17 Flying Fortress, the 95th was the first U.S. bomb group to bomb Berlin—a feat that put it on the centerfold of Life magazine—and the last group to lose a plane over Europe in World War II. Over six hundred men in the 95th never came home.
The Wild Blue Yonder and Beyond is the first book to cover a World War II bomb group from its inception through the present day. Utilizing interviews with nearly a hundred air war veterans, dozens of unpublished crew memoirs, all the bomb group’s official mission reports from the National Archives, and nearly a hundred other sources, author Rob Morris (assisted by air war historian Ian Hawkins) provides a deep tactical and human understanding of the group. Also included are the stories of the veterans’ wives and families, who fought a different kind of war at home, and the residents of Horham, whose tiny English village was suddenly on the war’s front lines.
Intensely human, exhaustively researched, and lovingly told, this book is certain to be a classic in the field and a resource for anyone interested in the workings of a World War II bomb group.
- Author: Rob Morris
- Publication Date: 2012-07-31
- Publisher: Potomac Books Inc.
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Potomac Books Inc.
- Binding: Hardcover, 416 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 909L x 638W x 132H
- Weight: 171
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 900L x 600W x 140H
- Weight: 170
- List Price: $39.95
- ISBN: 1597977128
- ASIN: 1597977128
- Fighter Group: The 352nd "Blue-Nosed Bastards" in World War II
- Belle of the Brawl: Letters Home From a B-17 Bombardier
- B-17s Over Berlin: Personal Stories from the 95th Bomb Group (Memories of War)
- Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
- An Eighth Air Force Combat Diary: Combat Missions Flown with the 100th Bomb Group, England 1944-1945