Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter
Forget everything you’ve ever read about the age of dumbed-down, instant-gratification culture. In this provocative, unfailingly intelligent, thoroughly researched, and surprisingly convincing big idea book, Steven Johnson draws from fields as diverse as neuroscience, economics, and media theory to argue that the pop culture we soak in every dayfrom Lord of the Rings to Grand Theft Auto to The Simpsonshas been growing more sophisticated with each passing year, and, far from rotting our brains, is actually posing new cognitive challenges that are actually making our minds measurably sharper. After reading Everything Bad is Good for You, you will never regard the glow of the video game or television screen the same way again.
With a new afterword by the author.
Steven Johnson's newest book, Future Perfect, is now available from Riverhead Books.
- Author: Steven Johnson
- Publication Date: 2006-05-02
- Publisher: Riverhead Trade
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Riverhead Trade
- Binding: Paperback, 254 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 782L x 668W x 76H
- Weight: 51
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 800L x 490W x 70H
- Weight: 45
- List Price: $16.00
- ISBN: 1594481946
- ASIN: 1594481946
- Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
- Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
- The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future(Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30)
- Pride of Baghdad