Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter
Forget everything you’ve ever read about the age of dumbed-down, instant-gratification culture. In this provocative, unfailingly intelligent, thoroughly researched, and surprisingly convincing big idea book, Steven Johnson draws from fields as diverse as neuroscience, economics, and media theory to argue that the pop culture we soak in every day—from Lord of the Rings to Grand Theft Auto to The Simpsons—has been growing more sophisticated with each passing year, and, far from rotting our brains, is actually posing new cognitive challenges that are actually making our minds measurably sharper. After reading Everything Bad is Good for You, you will never regard the glow of the video game or television screen the same way again.
With a new afterword by the author.
Steven Johnson's newest book, Future Perfect, is now available from Riverhead Books.
- Author: Steven Johnson
- Publication Date: 2006-05-02
- Publisher: Riverhead Books
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Riverhead Books
- Binding: Paperback, 254 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 510L x 76W x 801H
- Weight: 51
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 800L x 490W x 70H
- Weight: 45
- List Price: $16.00
- ISBN: 1594481946
- ASIN: 1594481946
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
- Where Good Ideas Come From
- How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World
- The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future(Or, Don 't Trust Anyone Under 30)
- Future Perfect: The Case For Progress In A Networked Age