Writing the Breakout Novel
Take your fiction to the next level!
Maybe you're a first-time novelist looking for practical guidance. Maybe you've already been published, but your latest effort is stuck in mid-list limbo. Whatever the case may be, author and literary agent Donald Maass can show you how to take your prose to the next level and write a breakout novel - one that rises out of obscurity and hits the best-seller lists.
Maass details the elements that all breakout novels share - regardless of genre - then shows you writing techniques that can make your own books stand out and succeed in a crowded marketplace.
You'll learn to:
- establish a powerful and sweeping sense of time and place
- weave subplots into the main action for a complex, engrossing story
- create larger-than-life characters that step right off the page
- explore universal themes that will interest a broad audience of readers
- sustain a high degree of narrative tension from start to finish
- develop an inspired premise that sets your novel apart from the competition
Then, using examples from the recent works of several best-selling authors - including novelist Anne Perry - Maass illustrates methods for upping the ante in every aspect of your novel writing. You'll capture the eye of an agent, generate publisher interest and lay the foundation for a promising career.
- Author: Donald Maass
- Publication Date: 2002-08-15
- Publisher: Writer's Digest Books
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Writer's Digest Books
- Binding: Paperback, 256 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 600L x 78W x 900H
- Weight: 90
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 880L x 600W x 90H
- Weight: 95
- List Price: $16.99
- UPC: 035313108440
- ISBN: 158297182X
- ASIN: 158297182X
- Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
- The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
- Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
- Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print