Magnesium Overcast: The Story of the Convair B-36(Specialty Press)
The Convair B-36 Peacemaker was the ultimate statement of American air power at the beginning of the Cold War. An intriguing mix of proven World War II concepts and 1950s high-tech innovations, the aircraft would spark more controversy than any weapon system ever built until the ill-fated Star Wars system of the late 1980s.
Extensive research at various archives around the country have uncovered new and previously unpublished details about the B-36 and its derivatives. Among these are the first-ever photos of the never-flown second prototype YB-60 all-jet version, details about Convair s flying-boat version of the XC-99 cargo aircraft, and technical information of the stillborn Variable Discharge Turbine B-36C variant.
Includes extensive photographic coverage of the devastating 1952 Texas tornado that severally damaged and grounded a good portion of the B-36 fleet. A detailed serial number list covers each airplane and its final disposition, and a chapter covers the efforts to reclaim and scrap the aircraft as they were taken out of service.
- Author: Dennis R. Jenkins
- Publication Date: 2008-07-15
- Publisher: Specialty Pr Pub & Wholesalers
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Specialty Pr Pub & Wholesalers
- Binding: Paperback, 230 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 69L x 886W x 886H
- Weight: 215
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 906L x 898W x 94H
- Weight: 207
- List Price: $28.95
- ISBN: 1580071295
- ASIN: 1580071295
- Cold War Peacemaker: The Story of Cowtown and the Convair B-36
- Convair B-36 Peacemaker: A Photo Chronicle (Schiffer Military History)
- Convair B-36: A Comprehensive History of Americas Big Stick (Schiffer Military/Aviation History)
- Hypersonic: The Story of the North American X-15 (Specialty Press) (Specialty Press)
- World's Fastest Four-Engine Piston-Powered Aircraft: Story of the Republic XR-12 Rainbow