A Shepherd in Combat Boots: Chaplain Emil Kapaun of the 1st Cavalry Division
A well-documented biography of an extraordinary person, Emil Kapun, who was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Medal of Honor, and named "Servant of God" by the Vatican.
Try to escape, the American soldiers warned Catholic Chaplain Emil Kapaun. However, he refused to leave his wounded comrades and became a POW. His decision marked a turning point in the inspiring life of this young priest.
Kapaun's faith and courage on the battlefield and in prison set an example for hundreds of young American captives. When they were starving, he stole food for them. If the men needed encouragement, he defied prison rules and prayed with them. When the communist guards mocked his faith in God, the chaplain publicly defended his beliefs.
When Kapaun became sick, the communist denied him medicine and watched him die in their vermin-infested "hospital." However, they could not extinguish the memories of how he served other prisoners.
- Author: William L. Maher
- Publication Date: 2002-08-01
- Publisher: Burd Street Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Burd Street Press
- Binding: Paperback, 199 pages
- Brand: Brand: Burd Street Press
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 913L x 601W x 44H
- Weight: 630000
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 904L x 610W x 58H
- Weight: 72
- List Price: $17.95
- ISBN: 1572493054
- ASIN: 1572493054
- The Miracle of Father Kapaun: Priest, Soldier, and Korean War Hero
- The Miracle of Father Kapaun
- The Grunt Padre: Father Vincent Robert Capodanno, Vietnam, 1966-1967
- The Shadow of His Wings: The True Story of Fr. Gereon Goldmann, OFM
- The Story of Chaplain Kapaun, Patriot Priest of the Korean Conflict: The Story of Chaplain Kapaun