Zarbul Masalha: 151 Afghan Dari Proverbs
Afghans universally prize wit and cleverness in speech. They use Proverbs (Zarbul Masalha) in their daily conversations much more often than Westerners do, and with far greater effect. An appropriate Proverb inserted at the right time can carry the weight of an entire explanation or discussion. A Proverb used well, especially by a foreigner, usually leads Afghans to either laugh in genuine surprise and delight, or to nod thoughtfully while considering its full meaning and nuance. As the Proverb says, "Az gap, gap mey-khezad" (From talk comes talk), which in one Afghan context means that "Good conversations lead to more good conversations."
Zarbul Masalha is a one-of-a-kind book featuring 151 commonly used Dari Proverbs collected and translated in Afghanistan by U.S. Navy Captain Edward Zellem. The book is written in English and Dari, and is handsomely illustrated with original art by Afghan high school students in Kabul.
Designed to fit comfortably in a cargo pocket, backpack, utility pouch, briefcase or bookshelf, Zarbul Masalha is highly useful for English-speaking students of Dari... Dari speakers wishing to learn English... military, diplomats, and international aid workers... Afghan emigres and their families... people doing business in Afghanistan... travelers and expatriates... reference libraries... academics, linguists, and writers... and virtually anyone interested in a fresh, intimate, personal understanding of Afghans and another culture and language.
Net proceeds from Zarbul Masalha will benefit Afghan-led literacy programs in Afghanistan to promote education for a new generation of free Afghans.
- Author: Edward Zellem
- Publication Date: 2012-05-01
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
- Binding: Paperback, 178 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 902L x 598W x 41H
- Weight: 59
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 890L x 598W x 71H
- Weight: 66
- List Price: $14.95
- ISBN: 1475093926
- ASIN: 1475093926
- Dari As A Second Langauge: Your First Dari Words, Conversation, Reading and Writing, Grammar, and Vocabulary
- Intermediate Dari: An Advanced Introduction (Persian Edition)
- Dari-English/English-Dari Practical Dictionary
- Beginner's Dari (Persian) (Hippocrene Beginner's) (Persian Edition)
- Dari: Dari-English English-Dari Dictionary & Phrasebook (Hippocrene Dictionary & Phrasebooks)