Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: The Illustrated Edition: An Indian History of the American West (The Illustrated Editions)
For the first time: a full-color illustrated edition of Dee Brown’s classic history of the American West!
Eloquent, heartbreaking, and meticulously documented, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee follows the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the 19th century. Upon its publication in 1970, the book was universally lauded and became a cultural phenomenon that proved instrumental in transforming public perceptions of manifest destiny and the “winning” of the West.
Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown’s work highlighted the voices of those American Indians who actually experienced the battles, massacres, and broken treaties. Here is their view of the events that ultimately left them demoralized and defeated, including: the Battle of Sand Creek; Red Cloud’s War; the Battle of the Little Bighorn; and, of course, the Wounded Knee Massacre. Crazy Horse, Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, and Spotted Tail—the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Cheyenne, and other tribes—come to life through their own words and formal portraits.
Now, hundreds of illustrations—including maps, photographs, sketches, and paintings—enhance Brown’s masterpiece, making it even more vivid and personal. In addition to the incredible images, this edition also features relevant excerpts from such highly acclaimed Native-American themed books as Where White Men Fear to Tread by Russell Means, Mystic Chords of Memory by Michael Kammen, and Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog, as well as all-new essays by contemporary historians and Native American leaders like Elliott West and Joseph Marshall III.
- Author: Dee Brown
- Publication Date: 2009-09-01
- Publisher: Sterling Innovation
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Sterling Innovation
- Binding: Hardcover, 560 pages
- Brand: Brand: Sterling Innovation
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 1014L x 926W x 154H
- Weight: 484
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 710L x 420W x 110H
- Weight: 230
- List Price: $40.00
- ISBN: 1402760663
- ASIN: 1402760663
- The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
- Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
- The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend
- Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee; an Indian History of the American West