T-41 Mescalero: The Military Cessna 172.
T-41 Mescalero earned an Honorable Mention in the Nonfiction History category of the Military Writers Society of America 2011 Book Awards.
"Walt Shiel, Jan Forsgren and Mike Little have covered the story of the T-41 Mescalero, and other military 172s, in a wide-reaching and exciting way that paves new ground for the pilot, the aviation buff, and the historian. This volume contains personal stories, vivid descriptions, and more than a little humor -- but it also provides specifications and serials that have never previously been assembled in one place." --from the Foreword by Robert F. Dorr (author of Air Combat)
In 2006, the ubiquitous Cessna Model 172 Skyhawk turned 50, with a seldom-heralded military record almost as long. Now, for the first time, the Skyhawk's military history is revealed in all its depth and breadth, covering its use by the armed forces of 54 countries. Cessna delivered 867 T-41 Mescaleros (the military version of the 172) in four distinct models to countries around the world -- plus another 158 off-the-shelf 172s, with many still serving into the 21st century. T-41 Mescalero captures this extensive history in print, complete with stories and photographs from around the world.
The roster of countries whose armed force fly, or have flown, the 172 reads like a list of United Nations members -- from the US to Latin America's Venezuela, Africa's Angola to Asia's Vietnam, and Europe's Austria to the Middle East's United Arab Emirates. T-41s and military 172s have spanned the globe to provide outstanding and cost-effective service for almost five decades.
More Cessna 172s have been produced than any other aircraft model in history. Doubtless more pilots have had their initial aviation indoctrination in the Cessna 172 than in any other aircraft. Wth new 172s still rolling off the assembly lines, its remarkable story will continue. With many armed forces still operating 172s and T-41s, its military story is far from closed.
Filled with operational stories, little-known applications, and 194 photos (80% in full color), T-41 Mescalero explains how, why, and when this stalwart Cessna has fulfilled its varied military roles!
- Publication Date: 2006-11-01
- Publisher: Slipdown Mountain Publications
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Slipdown Mountain Publications
- Binding: Paperback, 216 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 850L x 59W x 1102H
- Weight: 157
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 1090L x 850W x 70H
- Weight: 145
- List Price: $19.95
- ISBN: 0974655333
- ASIN: 0974655333
- American Military Training Aircraft: Fixed and Rotary-Wing Trainers Since 1916
- The X-15 Rocket Plane: Flying the First Wings into Space (Outward Odyssey: A People's History of S)
- The Douglas B-18 and B-23: America's Forsaken Warriors (Crecy Publishing)
- F-111 & EF-111 Units in Combat (Combat Aircraft)
- Martin B-26 Marauder: The Ultimate Look: From Drawing Board to Widow Maker Vindicated (Ultiimate Look)