Hog’s Exit: Jerry Daniels, the Hmong, and the CIA (Modern Southeast Asia Series)
It just didn’t sit right. Not with his friends, not with his coworkers, not with his hunting and fishing buddies, and certainly not with his family. The American Embassy in Bangkok had reported the accidental death of Jerry “Hog” Daniels by carbon monoxide poisoning. Three decades later, his family and most of his friends remain unconvinced that the U.S. government told them the truth about his death.
As a former CIA case officer to legendary Hmong leader General Vang Pao during the “secret war” in Laos, Jerry Daniels was experienced, smart, and careful. Those who knew him well said he wasn’t the type to die as reported. Raising even more doubts, his casket was “Permanently Sealed” by the U.S. State Department before being shipped home to Missoula, Montana, where he was honored with a three-day funeral ceremony organized by his former comrades-in-arms, the Hmong hilltribe warriors from Laos.
This book examines the unique personality and reported death of a man who was a pivotal agent in U.S./Hmong history. Friends and family share their memories of Daniels growing up in Montana, cheating death in Laos, and carousing in the bars and brothels of Thailand. First-person accounts from Americans and Hmong, ranchers and refugees, State Department officials and smokejumpers capture both human and historical stories about the life of this dedicated and irreverent individual and offer speculation on the unsettling circumstances of his death. Equally important, Hog’s Exit is the first complete account in English to document the drama and beauty of the Hmong funeral process.
Hog’s Exit provides a fascinating view of a man and the two very different cultures in which he lived.
- Author: Gayle L. Morrison
- Publication Date: 2013-07-17
- Publisher: Texas Tech University Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Texas Tech University Press
- Binding: Paperback, 512 pages
- Brand: Brand: Texas Tech University Press
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 913L x 130W x 613H
- Weight: 159
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 910L x 610W x 120H
- Weight: 160
- List Price: $39.95
- ISBN: 0896727920
- ASIN: 0896727920
- Meeting Steve Canyon: ...and flying with the CIA in Laos
- Honor Denied: The Truth About Air America and the CIA
- Sky Is Falling: An Oral History of the CIA's Evacuation of the Hmong from Laos
- Classified Secret: Controlling Airstrikes in the Clandestine War in Laos
- Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos