Kontum: The Battle to Save South Vietnam (Battles and Campaigns Series)
In the spring of 1972, North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam in what became known as the Easter Offensive. Almost all of the American forces had already withdrawn from Vietnam except for a small group of American advisers to the South Vietnamese armed forces. The 23rd ARVN Infantry Division and its American advisers were sent to defend the provincial capital of Kontum in the Central Highlands. They were surrounded and attacked by three enemy divisions with heavy artillery and tanks but, with the help of air power, managed to successfully defend Kontum and prevent South Vietnam from being cut in half and defeated.
Although much has been written about the Vietnam War, little of it addresses either the Easter Offensive or the Battle of Kontum. In Kontum: The Battle to Save South Vietnam, Thomas P. McKenna fills this gap, offering the only in-depth account available of this violent engagement. McKenna, a U.S. infantry lieutenant colonel assigned as a military adviser to the 23rd Division, participated in the battle of Kontum and combines his personal experiences with years of interviews and research from primary sources to describe the events leading up to the invasion and the battle itself.
Kontum sheds new light on the actions of U.S. advisers in combat during the Vietnam War. McKenna's book is not only an essential historical resource for America's most controversial war but a personal story of valor and survival.
- Author: Thomas McKenna
- Publication Date: 2011-07-20
- Publisher: University Press of Kentucky
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: University Press of Kentucky
- Binding: Hardcover, 376 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 600L x 150W x 900H
- Weight: 156
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 900L x 620W x 170H
- Weight: 135
- List Price: $34.95
- ISBN: 081313398X
- ASIN: 081313398X
- America's Last Vietnam Battle: Halting Hanoi's 1972 Easter Offensive (Modern War Studies)
- The Battle of An Loc (Twentieth-Century Battles)
- Black April: The Fall of South Vietnam, 1973-75
- Hell in An Loc: The 1972 Easter Invasion and the Battle That Saved South Viet Nam
- Hell In A Very Small Place: The Siege Of Dien Bien Phu