Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
Immediately recognized as a revelatory and enormously controversial book since its first publication in 1971, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is universally recognized as one of those rare books that forever changes the way its subject is perceived. Now repackaged with a new introduction from bestselling author Hampton Sides to coincide with a major HBO dramatic film of the book, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's classic, eloquent, meticulously documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. A national bestseller in hardcover for more than a year after its initial publication, it has sold over four million copies in multiple editions and has been translated into seventeen languages.
Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the series of battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them and their people demoralized and decimated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee changed forever our vision of how the West was won, and lost. It tells a story that should not be forgotten, and so must be retold from time to time.
- Author: Dee Brown
- Publication Date: 2010-08-18
- Publisher: HOLT MCDOUGAL
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: HOLT MCDOUGAL
- Binding: Paperback, 512 pages
- Brand: HOLT MCDOUGAL
- Great product!
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 542L x 96W x 822H
- Weight: 85
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 819L x 543W x 102H
- Weight: 88
- List Price: $18.00
- ISBN: 0805086846
- ASIN: 0805086846
- The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend
- Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
- The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living (Compass)
- The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
- Meeting Jesus in the Sacraments