The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945 (The Liberation Trilogy)
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
The magnificent conclusion to Rick Atkinson's acclaimed Liberation Trilogy about the Allied triumph in Europe during World War II
It is the twentieth century's unrivaled epic: at a staggering price, the United States and its allies liberated Europe and vanquished Hitler. In the first two volumes of his bestselling Liberation Trilogy, Rick Atkinson recounted how the American-led coalition fought through North Africa and Italy to the threshold of victory. Now, in The Guns at Last Light, he tells the most dramatic story of all-the titanic battle for Western Europe.
D-Day marked the commencement of the final campaign of the European war, and Atkinson's riveting account of that bold gamble sets the pace for the masterly narrative that follows. The brutal fight in Normandy, the liberation of Paris, the disaster that was Operation Market Garden, the horrific Battle of the Bulge, and finally the thrust to the heart of the Third Reich-all these historic events and more come alive with a wealth of new material and a mesmerizing cast of characters. Atkinson tells the tale from the perspective of participants at every level, from presidents and generals to war-weary lieutenants and terrified teenage riflemen. When Germany at last surrenders, we understand anew both the devastating cost of this global conflagration and the enormous effort required to win the Allied victory.
With the stirring final volume of this monumental trilogy, Atkinson's accomplishment is manifest. He has produced the definitive chronicle of the war that unshackled a continent and preserved freedom in the West.
One of The Washington Post's Top 10 Books of the Year
A Kirkus Reviews Best Nonfiction Book of 2013
- Author: Rick Atkinson
- Publication Date: 2013-05-14
- Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Henry Holt and Co.
- Binding: Hardcover, 896 pages
- Brand: Brand: Henry Holt and Co.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 648L x 191W x 963H
- Weight: 253
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 940L x 620W x 240H
- Weight: 240
- List Price: $40.00
- ISBN: 0805062904
- ASIN: 0805062904
- The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy)
- An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy
- The Liberation Trilogy Boxed Set
- The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (Volume Two of The Liberation Trilogy)
- In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat