A Full Blown Yankee of the Iron Brigade: Service with the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers
"I have been so wholly engrossed with my work for the last week or I should have responded sooner to your question: ‘Are you going?’ If a kind Providence and President Lincoln will permit, I am. I am Captain of as good, and true a band of patriots as ever rallied under the star spangled banner."—Rufus R. Dawes.
A Full Blown Yankee of the Iron Brigade combines the personal experiences of Rufus R. Dawes with a history of the regiment in which he served. The Iron Brigade was the only all-Western brigade that fought in the eastern armies of the Union and was perhaps the most distinguished of the Federal brigades.
Dawes is credited with a keen sense of observation and a fresh and vivid style. Seldom absent from the field during his entire three-and-a-half-year term, he chronicled Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chan-cellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness campaign, Cold Harbor, and the Petersburg lines. Perhaps most remarkable is the well-honed sense of humor he displayed about both the war and himself. Dawes’s sophisticated account of significant military organizations and events improves our understanding of the epic of the Civil War.
- Author: Rufus R. Dawes
- Publication Date: 1999-03-01
- Publisher: University of Nebraska Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: University of Nebraska Press
- Binding: Paperback, 342 pages
- Brand: Brand: University of Nebraska Press
- ISBN13: 9780803266186
- Condition: New
- Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 500L x 84W x 799H
- Weight: 94
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 800L x 500W x 100H
- Weight: 95
- List Price: $22.95
- ISBN: 0803266189
- ASIN: 0803266189
- Service With the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers (Classic Reprint)
- Four Years with the Iron Brigade: The Civil War Journals of William R Ray, Co. F, Seventh Wisconsin Infantry
- A Southern Woman's Story
- An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, alias Pvt. Lyons Wakeman, 153rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1862-1864
- The Civil War (American Heritage Books)