SR-71: The Complete Illustrated History of the Blackbird, The World's Highest, Fastest Plane
At the height of the Cold War in 1964, President Johnson announced a new aircraft dedicated to strategic reconnaissance. The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird spy plane flew more than three-and-a-half times the speed of sound, so fast that no other aircraft could catch it. Above 80,000 feet, its pilots had to wear full-pressure flight suits similar to what was used aboard the space shuttle. Developed by the renowned Lockheed Skunk Works, the SR-71 was an awesome aircraft in every respect, and it took the world by storm.
The SR-71 was in service with the U.S. Air Force from 1964 to 1998, when it was withdrawn from use, superseded by satellite technology. Twelve of the thirty-two aircraft were destroyed in accidents, but none were ever lost to enemy action.
Throughout its thirty-four-year career, the SR-71 was the world’s fastest and highest-flying operational manned aircraft. It set world records for altitude and speed: an absolute altitude record of 85,069 feet on July 28, 1974, and an absolute speed record of 2,193.2 miles per hour on the same day. On September 1, 1974, it set a speed and time record over a recognized course between New York and London (3,508 miles) of 1,435.587 miles per hour and an elapsed time of 1 hour, 54 minutes, 56.4 seconds.
SR-71 covers every aspect of the SR-71’s development, manufacture, modification, and active service from the insider’s perspective of one its pilots and is lavishly illustrated with more than 200 photos.
- Author: Richard H. Graham
- Publication Date: 2013-05-12
- Publisher: Zenith Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Zenith Press
- Binding: Hardcover, 192 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 863L x 75W x 1100H
- Weight: 242
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 1070L x 860W x 100H
- Weight: 215
- List Price: $35.00
- ISBN: 0760343276
- ASIN: 0760343276
- SR-71 Blackbird: Stories, Tales, and Legends
- SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story
- Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission
- Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed
- The Complete Book of the SR-71 Blackbird: The Illustrated Profile of Every Aircraft, Crew, and Breakthrough of the World's Fastest Stealth Jet