Odysseus in America: Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming
In this ambitious follow-up to Achilles in Vietnam, Dr. Jonathan Shay uses the Odyssey, the story of a soldier's homecoming, to illuminate the pitfalls that trap many veterans on the road back to civilian life.
Seamlessly combining important psychological work and brilliant literary interpretation with an impassioned plea to renovate American military institutions, Shay deepens our understanding of both the combat veteran's experience and one of the world's greatest classics.
- Author: M.D. Jonathan Shay M.D.
- Publication Date: 2003-11-25
- Publisher: Scribner
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Scribner
- Binding: Paperback, 352 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 550L x 90W x 844H
- Weight: 71
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 840L x 530W x 90H
- Weight: 70
- List Price: $16.00
- ISBN: 074321157X
- ASIN: 074321157X
- Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character
- War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Soul Repair: Recovering from Moral Injury after War
- The Things They Cannot Say: Stories Soldiers Won't Tell You About What They've Seen, Done or Failed to Do in War
- Warrior's Return: Restoring the Soul After War