Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun
Acclaimed WWII historian and military intelligence expert John Prados offers a provocative reassessment of the Allies’ battle for the Solomon Islands—a turbulent, dramatic campaign that, he argues, was the true turning point of the Pacific conflict.
Historians traditionally refer to the Battle of Midway as the point when Allied forces gained the advantage over the Japanese. In Islands of Destiny, Prados points out that the Japanese forces quickly regained strength after Midway and continued their assault undaunted. Taking this surprising fact as the start of his inquiry, he began to investigate how and when the Pacific tide turned in the Allies’ favor. His search led him to the decisive battles and strategic maneuvers in the fight for the Solomon Islands.
Beginning with the invasion of Guadalcanal in August 1942, the Solomons became a hotly contested battleground for over a year, culminating in the isolation of Rabaul by the Allies. As military forces fought over the strategically important islands, a secret war of intelligence was also being waged. For a total picture of the conflict, Prados integrates blow-by-blow action on the ground with the code breaking, aerial reconnaissance, secret spy posts, and submarine scouting that were vital to the Allied effort.
The Solomons arena saw some of the most intense combat of WWII—from major naval actions, including a key confrontation between battleships, to air battles that took place almost daily. With expert knowledge and crystal clear prose, John Prados illustrates why these events were not only thrilling, but pivotal in the Allies’ path to victory.
- Author: John Prados
- Publication Date: 2012-10-02
- Publisher: NAL
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: NAL
- Binding: Hardcover, 416 pages
- Brand: NAL Hardcover
- Great product!
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 910L x 640W x 170H
- Weight: 139
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 913L x 638W x 134H
- Weight: 141
- List Price: $26.95
- ISBN: 0451238044
- ASIN: 0451238044
- Target: Rabaul: The Allied Siege of Japan's Most Infamous Stronghold, March 1943 - August 1945
- Pacific Payback: The Carrier Aviators Who Avenged Pearl Harbor at the Battle of Midway
- Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943
- The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941 - June 1942
- Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway