To Kingdom Come: An Epic Saga of Survival in the Air War Over Germany
The breathtaking, never-before-told, true story of a historic air- force bombing mission in 1943 Germany.
On September 6, 1943, three hundred and thirty-eight B-17 "Flying Fortresses" of the American Eighth Air Force took off from England, bound for Stuttgart, Germany, to bomb Nazi weapons factories.
Dense clouds obscured the targets, and one commander's critical decision to circle three times over the city-and its deadly flak-would prove disastrous. Forty-five planes went down that day, and hundreds of men were lost or missing.
Focusing on first-person accounts of six of the B-17 airmen, award- winning author Robert Mrazek vividly re-creates the fierce air battle- and reveals the astonishing valor of the airmen who survived being shot down, and the tragic fate of those who did not.
- Author: Robert J. Mrazek
- Publication Date: 2011-03-01
- Publisher: NAL
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: NAL
- Binding: Hardcover, 400 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 930L x 637W x 124H
- Weight: 146
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 910L x 590W x 130H
- Weight: 160
- List Price: $25.95
- ISBN: 0451232275
- ASIN: 0451232275
- A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
- The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
- The Wrong Stuff : The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator
- Untold Valor: Forgotten Stories of American Bomber Crews over Europe in World War II
- Through These Eyes: A World War II Eighth Air Force Combat Diary