The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations (Treasury of Terms and Literary Quotations)
Have you ever found yourself grasping in vain for that ideal descriptive word lost somewhere within the misty recesses of your vocabulary? Or felt frustrated that an oddly shaped structure or pretty setting you wished to portray in writing didn't quite translate clearly to paper?If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then The Describer's Dictionary is exactly the book you need. Open it, and you have not only just the right words but—bringing them to life—stellar literary examples of descriptive writing as well.
The Dictionary concern itself with the observable, from shapes to buildings to human beings. "Referably" organized, the book uses a handy reverse, definition-to-term format that makes it easy to zero in on the term you're seeking. For example, look up "Noses" to find "aquiline," "leptorrhine," and "snub-nosed." And as an inspiration to any writer—showing how it's done by the best—hundreds of colorful and evocative descriptive passages from such diverse authors as Dickens, Darwin, and Updike appear on facing pages, making this a singularly and richly different kind of reference book.
The craft of description lives in literature, conversation, journalism, and personal letters. For help in painting pictures with the English language, The Desciber's Dictionary is one of the most indispensable reference tools you can own.
- Author: David Grambs
- Publication Date: 1995-08-17
- Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
- Binding: Paperback, 416 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 560L x 100W x 830H
- Weight: 80
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 820L x 550W x 90H
- Weight: 65
- List Price: $17.95
- ISBN: 0393312658
- ASIN: 0393312658
- The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression
- The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes (Writers Helping Writers)
- The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
- The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words (Expanded Second Edition)
- Writing With Emotion, Tension, and Conflict: Techniques for Crafting an Expressive and Compelling Novel