Saving Italy: The Race to Rescue a Nation's Treasures from the Nazis
New York Times Bestseller
"A poignant, fascinating story, bringing to life the soldier-scholars who saved Italy's treasures."—Evan Thomas, best-selling author of Ike’s Bluff and Sea of Thunder
On the eve of the Allied invasion, General Dwight Eisenhower empowered a new kind of soldier to protect these historic riches. In May 1944 two unlikely American heroes—artist Deane Keller and scholar Fred Hartt—embarked from Naples on the treasure hunt of a lifetime, tracking billions of dollars of missing art, including works by Michelangelo, Donatello, Titian, Caravaggio, and Botticelli.
With the German army retreating up the Italian peninsula, orders came from the highest levels of the Nazi government to transport truckloads of art north across the border into the Reich. Standing in the way was General Karl Wolff, a top-level Nazi officer. As German forces blew up the magnificent bridges of Florence, General Wolff commandeered the great collections of the Uffizi Gallery and Pitti Palace, later risking his life to negotiate a secret Nazi surrender with American spymaster Allen Dulles.
Brilliantly researched and vividly written, Saving Italy brings readers from Milan and the near destruction of The Last Supper to the inner sanctum of the Vatican and behind closed doors with the preeminent Allied and Axis leaders: Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and Churchill; Hitler, Göring, and Himmler.
An unforgettable story of epic thievery and political intrigue, Saving Italy is a testament to heroism on behalf of art, culture, and history.60 illustrations; maps
- Author: Robert M. Edsel
- Publication Date: 2013-05-06
- Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
- Binding: Hardcover, 480 pages
- Brand: Brand: W. W. Norton Company
- Saving Italy: The Race to Rescue a Nation's Treasures from the Nazis [Hardcover] [May 06, 2013] Edsel, Robert M.
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 947L x 650W x 152H
- Weight: 199
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 940L x 640W x 170H
- Weight: 190
- List Price: $28.95
- ISBN: 0393082415
- ASIN: 0393082415
- Rescuing Da Vinci: Hitler and the Nazis Stole Europe's Great Art - America and Her Allies Recovered It
- The Rape of Europa: The Fate of Europe's Treasures in the Third Reich and the Second World War
- Lost Lives, Lost Art: Jewish Collectors, Nazi Art Theft, and the Quest for Justice
- The Rape of Europa
- Monuments Men