Don't Mean Nothing: Short Stories of Vietnam
In this debut story collection–the first by a woman who served in Vietnam– Susan O’Neill offers a remarkable, unprecedented glimpse into the war from a female perspective. All the nurses who served there shared a common bond: to attend to the wounded. While men were sent to protect America’s interests at any cost, nurses were trained to save the lives of anyone–soldier or citizen, ally or enemy–who was brought through the hospital doors. It was an important distinction in a place where killing was sometimes the only objective. And since they were so vastly outnumbered, women were both revered and sexually craved.
For these women and the men among whom they worked and lived a common defense against the awful onslaught of dead and dying, wounded and maimed, was a feigned indifference, the irony of the helpless. “Don’t mean nothing” became their mantra, a small bunker in the real war–the war against total mental breakdown.
Powerful, provocative, and often wonderfully funny, each of these tales offers new and profound insight into how the war in Vietnam forever changed the lives of everyone who served there. “Broken Stone” is an astute look at the relinquishing of faith and the sacredness of sex. The tremendously touching “Butch” is a story of love, loss, and the native casualties of war. And the darkly hilarious “Monkey on Our Backs” follows the escapades of a much-maligned and detested pet primate who causes one Lieutenant so much grief that she asks a Marine to kill it. But like the cat that came back, the monkey remains–a reminder that taming a jungle is an exercise in futility.
A moving contribution by a woman to the literature of Vietnam, Don’t Mean Nothing is eye-opening and unforgettable. Here is a book that enlarges our understanding of the American experience in Vietnam
- Author: Susan Kramer O'Neill
- Publication Date: 2001-10-30
- Publisher: Ballantine Books
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Ballantine Books
- Binding: Hardcover, 272 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 575L x 92W x 853H
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 840L x 570W x 110H
- Weight: 95
- List Price: $22.00
- ISBN: 0345446089
- ASIN: 0345446089
- American Daughter Gone to War: On the Front Lines With an Army Nurse in Vietnam
- A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
- Women at War: The Story of Fifty Military Nurses Who Served in Vietnam (Studies in Health, Illness, and Caregiving)
- A World of Hurt: Between Innocence and Arrogance in Vietnam
- Home before morning: The story of an army nurse in Vietnam