Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
When the fishing vessel La Conte sinks suddenly at night in one-hundred-mile-per-hour winds and record ninety-foot seas during a savage storm in January 1998, her five crewmen are left to drift without a life raft in the freezing Alaskan waters and survive as best they can.
One hundred fifty miles away, in Sitka, Alaska, an H-60 Jayhawk helicopter lifts off from America's most remote Coast Guard base in the hopes of tracking down an anonymous Mayday signal. A fisherman's worst nightmare has become a Coast Guard crew's desperate mission. As the crew of the La Conte begin to die one by one, those sworn to watch over them risk everything to pull off the rescue of the century.
Spike Walker's memoir of his years as a deckhand in Alaska, Working on the Edge, was hailed by James A. Michner as "masterful . . . will become the definitive account of this perilous trade, an addition to the literature of the sea." In Coming Back Alive, Walker has crafted his most devastating book to date. Meticulously researched through hundreds of hours of taped interviews with the survivors, this is the true account of the La Conte's final voyage and the relationship between Alaskan fishermen and the search and rescue crews who risk their lives to save them.
- Author: Spike Walker
- Publication Date: 2002-10-11
- Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: St. Martin's Griffin
- Binding: Paperback, 288 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 614L x 60W x 921H
- Weight: 73
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 910L x 610W x 90H
- Weight: 75
- List Price: $18.99
- ISBN: 0312302568
- ASIN: 0312302568
- On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing Alaskan Rescue That Became a Legend
- Nights of Ice: True Stories of Disaster and Survival on Alaska's High Seas
- Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
- Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do
- Fatal Forecast: An Incredible True Tale of Disaster and Survival at Sea