Daisy Miller and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
The tale of Daisy's irruption into staid European society enjoyed, as did Daisy herself, a succès de scandale; and it has remained one of Jamess most popular short stories. Like the others collected here--'Pandora,' 'The Patagonia,' and 'Four Meetings'-- it describes a confrontation between different values in a changing world. Is the new independent American girl enchanting in her spontaneity, alarming in her unpredictability, or merely vulnerable in her ignorance of social codes? Hung about with make admirers who seek, uncertainly, to grasp the new phenomenon, Daisy marches on undiscourageable, to her triumphant--or tragic--destiny.
This volume contains prefaces by Henry James, a chronology of his life, and editor's notes.
About the Series: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- Author: Henry James
- Publication Date: 2009-03-15
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Oxford University Press
- Binding: Paperback, 352 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 508L x 63W x 772H
- Weight: 54
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 772L x 504W x 79H
- Weight: 40
- List Price: $6.95
- ISBN: 0199538565
- ASIN: 0199538565
- The House of Mirth (Dover Thrift Editions)
- The Portrait of a Lady (Penguin Classics)
- The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays: Riders to the Sea; The Shadow of the Glen; The Tinker's Wedding; The Well of the Saints; The Playboy ... of the Sorrows (Oxford World's Classics)
- Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Short Fiction (Bantam Classic)
- Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Writings About New York (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)