The Things They Cannot Say: Stories Soldiers Won't Tell You About What They've Seen, Done or Failed to Do in War
What is it like to kill? What is it like to be under fire? How do you know what's right? What can you never forget?
In The Things They Cannot Say, award-winning journalist and author Kevin Sites asks these difficult questions of eleven soldiers and marines, who—by sharing the truth about their wars—display a rare courage that transcends battlefield heroics.
For each of these men, many of whom Sites first met while in Afghanistan and Iraq, the truth means something different. One struggles to recover from a head injury he believes has stolen his ability to love; another attempts to make amends for the killing of an innocent man; yet another finds respect for the enemy fighter who tried to kill him. Sites also shares the unsettling narrative of his own failures during war—including his complicity in a murder—and the redemptive powers of storytelling that saved him from a self-destructive downward spiral.
- Author: Kevin Sites
- Publication Date: 2013-01-29
- Publisher: Harper Perennial
- Product Group: Book
- Manufacturer: Harper Perennial
- Binding: Paperback, 336 pages
- Item Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 531L x 76W x 800H
- Weight: 55
- Package Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 795L x 528W x 87H
- Weight: 53
- List Price: $15.99
- ISBN: 0061990523
- ASIN: 0061990523
- Warrior's Return: Restoring the Soul After War
- Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War
- The Good Soldiers
- Once a Warrior--Always a Warrior: Navigating The Transition From Combat To Home--Including Combat Stress, Ptsd, And Mtbi
- War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder